What is the best electric toothbrush?
(bestelectrictoothbrushguide.com) The best electric toothbrush in our opinion is the Emmi-dent 6 Professional Ultrasonic Toothbrush. Although it is a toothbrush that’s kinda expensive (£99) – but not as expensive as some Philips and Oral B Models – it has all the features and characteristics a modern human needs in a newly acquired electric toothbrush. We suggest to read the full article below to learn more about electric toothbrushes, such as the features they should have and the different types of electric toothbrushes. We have also prepared a comparison table with some of the best electric toothbrushes that are available in the UK – in case you would like to see some alternative recommendations from Emmi dent 6.
So, you’ve decided to buy an electric toothbrush, but you are kind of confused with all the brands and electric toothbrush types that are now in the market.
Well, we at bestelectrictothbrushguide.com had the same issues and questions like you do, so we decided to do an extensive research around electric toothbrushes to decide what is the best electric toothbrush that is available on the UK market for us to buy.
So, we decided to take the gained-through-research knowledge around electric toothbrushes, from our minds and create the most advance and comprehensive online guide around electric toothbrushes.
Through this guide we are going to help you to choose the best electric toothbrush that fits your needs and avoid the time-consuming research, by presenting you all the information that you need to know, in a nice, well-formated article.
So In this article you will learn:
- What Kind of Characteristics a good electric toothbrush should have?
- What are the different types of electric toothbrushes in the market now?
- A Table with the 10 Best Electric Toothbrushes ”Nominees”.
- Mini Reviews of the Top 10 Best Electric Toothbrushes.
- A Comparison Table of the ”Nominees” features.
- Which Electric Toothbrush we actually recommend.
- A Poll to vote the best electric toothbrush.
Characteristics of a Good Electric Toothbrush
According to our research these are the top characteristics your should look into before buying an electric toothbrush.
- Speed: Any electric toothbrush provides motions that are hundreds of times faster than those made by the average human hand wielding a manual toothbrush. The faster movements an electric toothbrush make, the more effective the cleaning is in less time. Electric toothbrushes rotate, vibrate, or oscillate at different speeds.
- Battery Life: Electric toothbrushes must have a power source. Since a power cord plugged into the wall might get in the user’s way, the preferred power source for these devices is some type of battery. In earlier electric toothbrushes, the batteries had to be replaced as they ran out. However, this kind of power source has been almost entirely replaced by the rechargeable battery. It is important for the battery life to last long so you don’t need to recharge it often.
- Cleaning Method:The number of electric toothbrushes available in the market can be overwhelming to buyers. Electric toothbrushes differ in the way they clean teeth.
- Rotating Electric Toothbrushes: The bristles on a rotating electric toothbrush turn around and around. The circular motion mimics the traditional circular pattern with which most users manually brush their teeth.
- Rotating-Oscillating Electric Toothbrushes: In the case of a rotating-oscillating electric toothbrush, the entire head of the toothbrush oscillates during use. The oscillation is a back-and-forth rotation that focuses on a single tooth before moving on to the next one.
- Counter-Oscillating Electric Toothbrushes: Some electric toothbrushes counter-oscillate. On a counter-oscillating toothbrush, each tuft of bristles rotates the opposite way from its neighbors. For example, one tuft may be rotating counterclockwise, while the two on each side of it are going clockwise
- Dual-Head Electric Toothbrushes: Dual-head electric toothbrushes have a rotating section as well as a section that moves from side to side.
- Vibrating Electric Toothbrushes: Instead of rotating or oscillating, vibrating electric toothbrushes buzz rapidly against the teeth.
Here’s a quick video that shows how Rotating-Oscillating Electric Toothbrushes work:
- Brushing Timer: Users typically rush through their oral hygiene routine more quickly than dentists recommend. An electric toothbrush with a timer enables users to know exactly how long they should brush. Buyers looking for an electric toothbrush should make sure that the one they choose includes a timer that runs for the required two minutes.
- Pressure Sensor: Brushing teeth too hard or too vigorously can irritate the gums, causing soreness and bleeding. Over a long period, this kind of heavy brushing could exacerbate conditions such as gum recession. To prevent over-brushing, some manufacturers include a pressure sensor with the electric toothbrush. The sensor sounds a warning if the user is employing excessive pressure during a brushing session. Typically, the warning takes the form of a flash, a beep, or a buzz.
The competition among this niche is fierce and different brands are adding different features to their electric toothbrushes that are sometimes, useless. The features above are the ones you have to take into great consideration before buying an electric toothbrush.
The Three Types Of Electric Toothbrushes
There are 3 types of electric toothbrushes that are available in the market nowadays and you need to know the difference between them before purchasing an electric toothbrush.
Let’s have a look at the three types of electric toothbrushes.
Sonic toothbrushes are a subset of electric toothbrushes with movement that is fast enough to produce vibration in the audible range. Most modern rechargeable electric toothbrushes from brands such as Philips Sonicare and Oral B fall into this category and typically have frequencies that range from 200 to 400 Hz, that is 12,000-24,000 oscillations or 24,000-48,000 movements per minute. Because sonic toothbrushes rely on sweeping motion alone to clean the teeth, the movement that they give is often high in amplitude, meaning that the length of the sweeping movements that they make is large.
The newest developments in this field are ultrasonic toothbrushes, which use ultrasonic waves to clean the teeth. In order for a toothbrush to be considered “ultrasonic” it has to emit a wave at a minimum frequency of 20,000 Hz or 2,400,000 movements per minute. Typically, ultrasonic toothbrushes approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) work at a frequency of 1.6 MHz, which translates to 192,000,000 movements per minute.
Power toothbrushes have lower speed and fewer features than Sonic and Ultrasonic electric toothbrushes but are a lot cheaper than them. This type of electric toothbrush is bought by people who are not willing to spend more than £50 for an electric toothbrush.
Power Toothbrushes use Rotating, Rotating-Oscillating, Counter-Oscillating or Dual-Head technologies for teeth cleaning.
Top 10 Best Electric Toothbrush ”Award” Nominees
We’ve prepared a quick-to-navigate table, that lists the top ten Electric Toothbrushes that are available on Amazon.co.uk. At the end of the table, you will find a mini-review for each electric toothbrush with the pros and cons for each one of it as well as a list of their most important features.
The products on the table are the nominees for the best electric toothbrush. This selection has been made through over 200 electric toothbrush models from Amazon.co.uk . By clicking on the small arrows found on top of each category, the products will be sorted accordingly. For example, If you would like to sort them by price, just click on the small arrow on top of the price column and the table will be sorted.
Top 10 Best Electric Toothbrush Nominees Table
|Philips Sonicare Diamondclean™||4.5 (1493 Reviewers)||$175.99||Sonic|
|Smilex Original Ultrasonic™||4.4 (58 Reviewers)||$149.95||Ultrasonic|
|Oral-B PRO 7000™||4.4 (591 Reviewers)||$147.99||Rotating-Oscilating|
|Emmi-dent 6™||3.9 (189 Reviewers)||$189.00||Ultrasonic|
|Philips Sonicare Flexcare Platinum™||4.5 (211Reviewers)||$159.95||Sonic|
|Brio Smartclean™||5.0 (4 Reviewers)||$68.00||Sonic|
|Oral-B PRO 5000™||4.3 (224 Reviewers)||$124.99||Rotating-Oscilating|
|iBrush SonicWave™||4.6 (24 Reviewers)||$69.99||Sonic|
|PreferredSonic™||4.6 (24 Reviewers)||$82.99||Sonic|
|Waterpik Complete Care™ WP-900||4.6 (1206 Reviewers)||$69.99||Sonic|
Best Electric Toothbrush Mini Reviews
These mini-reviews will help you to ”get to know better” each of the electric toothbrushes that were listed at the above table. These mini reviews will focus on some of the most important features the electric toothbrushes have and will pinpoint the pros and cons of each toothbrush.
- Speed /Cleaning Method
- Power Source /Battery Autonomy,
- Brushing Timer,
- Pressure Sensor,
- Other Features and Accessories.
Philips Sonicare DiamondClean™ Review
The Philips Sonicare DiamondClean™ is the newest innovation from Philips Sonicare. It provides the highest level of performance from a Sonicare power toothbrush to date, clinically proven to remove up to four times more plaque than a manual toothbrush in four weeks. With it’s sleek design it is perfect for an expensive and ”healthy” gift.
- Speed / Cleaning Method: Delivers 31,000 brushing strokes per minute to your mouth and it has 5 cleaning modes – Clean, White, Polish, GumCare and Sensitive.
- Power Source / Battery Life: Philips Sonicare Diamondclean™ has rechargeable batteries that last up to 3 weeks (full to empty)
- Other Features/ Accessories: With your purchase of you will also get two spare brush-heads, a USB Travel Case and a Charging Glass, to charge your electric toothbrush on the go.
- Brushing Timer: The Philips Sonicare Diamondclean™ has two (2) timers. The Smartimer™ which encourages you to brush for a full two minutes (the time recommended by dental professionals ) and the Quadpacer™ that beeps every 30-seconds to make sure you thoroughly brush all four quadrants of your mouth.
- Price: Philips Sonicare Diamondclean™ price is expensive.
- Pressure Sensor: The Philips Sonicare Diamondclean™ does not have a pressure sensor.
Smilex™ Original Ultrasonic Toothbrush Review
The Smilex ultrasonic toothbrush is the culmination of over 20 years of clinical research, product development and actual use by over a million customers worldwide. It is clinically-proven to reduce plaque by 97% in a single use and reduce 60% bleeding reduction in gums and a 28% reduction of gingivitis in just 4 weeks.
- Speed / Cleaning Method: Delivers 96 million ultrasonic waves per minute, and 18,000 brushing strokes per minute. Dual Ultrasonic and Sonic waves gently do all the work for you without any hard brushing.
- Power Source / Battery Life: The long–lasting rechargeable battery in the Smilex lasts for over 2 weeks of twice–daily brushing and comes with a convenient charging base.
- Other Features/ Accessories: In addition to two brush heads, the Smilex also comes with a special gum massage head. This is the ultimate in gum massage, increasing blood circulation in the gums for helping the healing process
- Brushing Timer: Turn the Smilex on and each 45–second interval during the dentist recommended 3–minute bushing period, a pulse is emitted telling you when to move on to the next quadrant of your mouth.
- Price: Smilex Original Ultrasonic™ is expensive.
- Pressure Sensor: Smilex Original Ultrasonic™ does not have a pressure sensor.
Oral-B Precision Black 7000 Review
The Oral-B Precision Black 7000 is in a class of its own. High-end features and a sleek design join forces to bring you an unparalleled brushing experience and superior cleaning. Discover the next level of oral care innovation with the Oral-B PRO Black7000™ SmartSeries with Bluetooth Connectivity electric rechargeable toothbrush
- Speed / Cleaning Method: Delivers up to 48,000 brushing movements per minute (pulsates, oscillates and rotates) for 2x better clean vs. a manual toothbrush to your mouth and it has 6 cleaning modes – Daily Clean, Deep Clean, Whitening, Massage, Sensitive and Tongue Cleaning.
- Power Source / Battery Life: The long–lasting rechargeable battery lasts for over 2 weeks of twice–daily brushing and comes with a convenient charging base.
- Other Features/Accessories: With every purchase you get a sleek, black travel case that protects all the toothbrush’s vital technology. The case is made of different high-tech materials like silicon.
- Brushing Timer: The Wireless SmartGuide™ syncs up with your toothbrush to give you real-time, dentist-inspired feedback. It includes a Star Reward System for extra motivation: five stars that sequentially light up as you brush, giving you a five-star rating when you brush properly for the dentist-recommended two minutes.
- Pressure Sensor: When you brush too hard, the SmartGuide activates a visual warning, encouraging you to decrease pressure to protect your gums.
- Price: The Oral-B Precision Black 7000 is an expensive piece of equipment.
Emmi-Dent 6™ Review
Emmi-Dent 6™ Ultrasound Toothbrush, cleans and Brightens Your Teeth With 100% Ultrasonic Technology and with the Power of 84 Million Oscillations per Minute! Emmi-dent is the no-brushing toothbrush innovation that uses 100% ultrasound to clean your teeth and gums.
Emmi-dent 6™ generates ultrasound with a patented ultrasonic microchip that is embedded inside the brush head. This chip creates up to 84 million ultrasonic (air oscillations) impulses per minute and transmits them via the bristles and Nano-bubble toothpaste onto the teeth giving you a superior cleaning.
- Speed / Cleaning Method: Delivers up to 84 million ultrasonic (air oscillations) impulses per minute and transmits them via the bristles and Nano-bubble toothpaste onto the teeth giving you a superior cleaning
- Power Source / Battery Life: Rechargeable battery that last for 50 – 60 uses. (Approximately 3 weeks if used twice per day).
- Other Features/ Accessories: This toothbrush is great for people who where toothbrushes as it does not need the brushhead to touch the teeth, because of the special microchip that hides inside the toothbrushes head and produces 84 million impulses per minute. It also comes with a free charger, a set of two brush heads, and a tube with their special toothpaste with Nano-bubble technology.
- Price: The Emmi-Dent 6™ Ultrasonic toothbrush is an expensive piece of equipment and people might not be willing to spend that amount of money.
- Toothpaste: It requires their special Nano-bubble technology toothpaste to deliver its maximum potential. Their toothpaste is more expensive than normal toothpastes and it might not be available for sale in different grocery stores.
- Brushing Timer: The Emmi-Dent 6™ Ultrasonic toothbrush does not have a brushing timer.
- Pressure Sensor: Although the Emmi-Dent 6™ Ultrasonic Toothbrush does not require you to brush your teeth with it, only touch the brush head to your teeth, users may get confuse on how far away or close they have to keep the toothbrush from their mouth. It should have had a features that solved this issue.
Philips Sonicare FlexCare Platinum™ Review
Sonicare FlexCare Platinum™, is a power toothbrush with features that are as stunning as its results. It is clinically proven to remove up to 7x more plaque between teeth than a manual toothbrush, and to significantly reduce gingivitis and bleeding in just two weeks.
An intuitive pressure sensor and nine total brushing combinations offer personalized care with interactive guidance to help your patients brush correctly.
- Speed / Cleaning Method: Philips Sonicare’s patented sonic technology delivers 31,000 brush strokes per minute and drives fluids deep into the tight spaces between your teeth and along the gum line, which results in a cleaner, healthier mouth.
- Power Source / Battery Life: Rechargeable. Enjoy three weeks of brushing on a single charge
- Other Features/ Accessories: This kit includes 1 flexcare platinum handle, 2 standard intercare brush heads, 2 hygienic travel caps, 1 deluxe charger with cord wrap and brush head storage, and 1 travel case. It also has 9 different cleaning modes, including a UV sanitizer that solves every occasions need.
- Brushing Timer: The Philips Sonicare Flexcare Platinum™ has two (2) timers. The Smartimer™ which encourages you to brush for a full two minutes (the time recommended by dental professionals ) and the Quadpacer™ that beeps every 30-seconds to make sure you thoroughly brush all four quadrants of your mouth.
- Pressure Sensor: The Philips Sonicare Flexcare Platinum™ has a pressure sensor that gently resonates the handle when user pushes to hard.
- Price: The Philips Sonicare Flexcare Platinum™ has a relative expensive price and some people might not be willing to spend that kind of money for an electric toothbrush.
Brio SmartClean™ Review
The Brio SmartClean™ can clean your mouth in ways that a manual toothbrush can’t. With an optimized 31,000 brush oscillations per minute your teeth will never have felt better or shined brighter. The Mico-Bubbles created by these sonic vibrations use the fluid in your mouth, not just the bristles, to clean your teeth and gums more effectively than manual brushing.
- Speed / Cleaning Method: Brio Smartclean™ is a sonic toothbrush and it delivers 31,000 brush vibrations per minute.
- Power Source / Battery Life: This electric toothbrush uses a rechargeable battery. Battery life lasts up to 6 weeks in one charge.
- Brushing Timer: The two minute timer and the 30 second zone reminders ensure your entire mouth is cleaned
- Price: The Brio Smartclean™ Electric Toothbrush is a relative cheap toothbrush that anyone can buy.
- Pressure Sensor: Stops pulsations to let know you when you’re brushing too hard
- Other Features/ Accessories: Brio SmartClean™ comes with two replacement heads and 3 cleaning modes which are very low compared to what other electric toothbrushes offer to consumers.
Oral-B® PRO 5000 Review
The Oral-B PRO 5000 is the world’s first of its kind with Bluetooth communication that allows the brush to connect with your smart phone to give you real-time feedback on your brushing habits. The professionally inspired design of the CrossAction™ brush head surrounds each tooth with bristles angled at 16 degrees, and 3D cleaning action oscillates, rotates, and pulsates to break up and remove up to 100% more plaque than a regular manual toothbrush.
- Speed / Cleaning Method: Provides 40,000 pulsations and 8,800 oscillations per minute
- Power Source : This electric toothbrush uses a rechargeable battery. Battery life is up to 10 days in one charge.
- Other Features/ Accessories: The Oral-B PRO 5000™ have 5 cleaning modes: Daily Clean, Sensitive, Whitening, Massage, Deep Clean. It also have a Bluetooth communication between brush and smartphone which provides real-time feedback on brushing habits, helping you achieve amazing results. You will get 1 Oral-B FlossAction brush head, 1 portable SmartPlug charger Travel toothbrush case and 1 charging station with brush head storage with every purchase.
- Brushing Timer: A two-minute timer with 30-second intervals helps guide you through the four quadrants of the mouth, making it easy to track how long you’ve been brushing.
- Pressure Sensor: Stops pulsations to notify you when you’re brushing too hard
- Price: The Oral-B PRO 5000™ has a relative expensive price.
- Battery Life: Battery life lasts up to 10 days in one charge only ,compared to other electric toothbrushes that last for 2 weeks (14 days) minimum.
Techege iBrush SonicWave™ Review
Taking care of your oral health is now easier than ever with help from the iBrush SonicWave™ toothbrush from Techege. Designed by a dentist & engineered to perform, the iBrush toothbrush is the best choice when looking for a quality electronic toothbrush at a price anyone can afford. This rechargeable power toothbrush rivals & outperforms others on the market, its sleek design paired with its powerful plaque removing abilities will make you feel as if you just walked out of a visit with your hygienist!
- Speed / Cleaning Method: iBrush SonicWave™ is a sonic toothbrush that delivers 30,000 ultra powerful strokes per minute.
- Power Source / Battery Life: This electric toothbrush uses a rechargeable battery. Battery life lasts up to 6 weeks in one charge.
- Brushing Timer: Two minute timer with QuadSense technology ensures dentist recommended brushing in each area of your mouth.
- Price: Techege iBrush™ SonicWave Toothbrush is a relative cheap toothbrush that anyone can buy.
- Other Features/ Accessories: Three cleaning modes; Power/Clean, Soft/Gentle & Massage, Docking/charging station with enclosed UV sanitary that kills 99% of Germs, toothbrush head holder. It includes 10 replacement toothbrush heads.
- Pressure Sensor: Techege iBrush SonicWave™ Toothbrush do not support pressure sensor feature.
Preferred Sonic™ Review
Choosing the right toothbrush can make a huge difference in your life. Good oral health habits and a healthy lifestyle can help you keep your gums healthy and your smile bright for a lifetime. Developing a simple daily routine of brushing, flossing and eating a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables is important regardless of age. The Preferred Sonic toothbrush is specially designed for deep cleaning and optimum oral health.
- Speed / Cleaning Method: Preferred Sonic™ is a sonic toothbrush that delivers 31,000 powerful strokes per minute.
- Power Source / Battery Life: This toothbrush uses a rechargeable battery. Full charge lasts up to 2 weeks of regular brushing.
- Brushing Timer: Two minute auto-timer helps ensure dentist recommended brushing time, with short pulse alerts to change your brushing area.
- Price: Preferred Sonic™ is a relative cheap toothbrush.
- Other Features/ Accessories: Three cleaning modes, UV sanitizing charging base & 3 replacement toothbrush heads.
- Pressure Sensor: Preferred Sonic™ Toothbrush do not support pressure sensor feature.
Waterpik® CompleteCare (WP-900) Review
Waterpik’s Complete Care combines superior Water Flosser and Sonic Toothbrush technologies in one product and it is up t0 70% more effective than Sonicare® Flexcare. Waterpik® Water Flossers are clinically proven to be more effective than traditional dental floss for reducing plaque, gingivitis, and gum disease. it’s perfect for anyone with braces or implants, and those with crowns, bridges, and veneers.
- Speed / Cleaning Method: Waterpik® Complete Care is a sonic toothbrush that delivers 31,000 strokes per minute.
- Power Source: This toothbrush uses a rechargeable battery.
- Brushing Timer: Two Minute timer on Toothbrush with 30-Second quadrant pacer
- Price: Waterpik® Complete Care is a relative cheap toothbrush.
- Other Features/ Accessories: Includes a Water Flosser with 5 jet tip attachments, 2 brush heads and a premium travel case.
- Pressure Sensor: Waterpik® Complete Care does not support pressure sensor feature.
- Battery Life: A full charge will last for 1 Week (7 days) which is relatively low compared to its competitors.
Characteristics Comparison Quick-Table
I’ve prepared this quick-table that will allow you to compare in a quick and easy way the most important features an electric toothbrush should have.
|IMAGE||PRICE||SPEED||BRUSHING TIMER||PRESSURE SENSOR||BATTERY LIFE (Weeks)|
|Philips Sonicare DiamondClean™||31 000 Strokesper min.|
|Smilex® Ultrasonic||96 000 000 ultrasonic waves & 18,000 brushing Strokes per min.|
|Oral-B® PRO 7000 Black||48,000 brushing movements (pulsates, oscillates,rotates) per min.|
|Emmi-Dent® 6 Ultrasonic||84 000 000 ultrasonic air oscillations per min.|
|Philips Sonicare® FlexCare Platinum||31 000 Strokes per min.|
|Brio SmartClean™ Sonic||31 000 strokes per min.|
|Oral-B® PRO 5000||40,000 pulsations and 8,800 oscillations per minute|
|iBrush Sonic Toothbrush||30 000 strokes per min.|
|Preferred Sonic||31 000 storkes per min.|
|Waterpik® (WP-900) CompleteCare||31 000 strokes per min.|
What is the Best Electric Toothbrush
After doing my research, I actually chose an electric toothbrush and bought it.
I am going to reveal it to you in a bit, but please don’t let my decision to solely affect yours. You should read the mini reviews above and check the features that each of the electric toothbrushes offer before you choose the one for you.
So, the best electric toothbrush for me and the one I bought, is the Smilex® Original Ultrasonic Toothbrush.
In fact I was thinking on buying the Brio SmartClean™ Electric Toothbrush that is about half the cost than Smilex®. Buying an electric toothbrush is not something I do every day and I just wanted to buy the best one that is currently out there.
I wanted my Electric toothbrush to be Ultrasonic because the waves that these toothbrushes emit, kill bacteria that create plaque up to 12 mm through the gums.
It’s battery life would stand for a normal of 2 weeks with a full charge so I was happy with it. If you go back through the reviews though, you”ll notice that there are electric toothbrushes (like Brio SmartClean™ and iBrush Sonic) that their battery lasts for up to 6 weeks (!) with a single charge. Lasting two weeks with a single charge is more than enough for me though.
And although the Smilex® Ultrasonic Toothbrush does not have a pressure sensor it does have a two-minute timer. Only the Sonicare FlexCare Platinum, the Oral-B PRO 7000 and the Oral-B PRO 5000 Models have this feature, but unfortunately they were not falling in the Ultrasonic category, that I was looking into.
So, I’ve been using Smilex® for over a month now, and I have to say that I am indeed very satisfied with it. I strongly believe that I’ve made the right choice.
Poll: Which one is the Best Electric Toothbrush?
After reading this 4500+ word guide on finding the best electric toothbrush, which one do you think is the best?
Take into consideration all the features that each electric toothbrush has and compare them with each other. Check the model that you think is the best, on the poll below and let future users to know your opinion.
Also, make sure to share this article with your friends and family by using the floating social network bar, that’s been following you all along.
I’m sure they will appreciate the fact that you are sharing quality content with them. You will also motivate us to write more compelling guides and articles like this one.