When avoiding treatment for an abscessed tooth, it can infect the bone that keeps the tooth supported and causes life-threatening problems.
A diet high in sugar, poor dental hygiene, gingivitis, severe tooth decay and sticky food can cause an abscessed tooth.
Symptoms of an abscessed tooth are:
- pain when chewing food,
- bad breath,
- sharp and throbbing toothaches,
- sore and red gums,
- cheek swelling,
- difficulty swallowing food,
- swollen lymph nodes and
- discomfort in the pained area.
You should visit your dentist immediately to receive medical help, but if you want an all natural route, you can use these effective natural remedies.
Home Remedies for Tooth Abscesses:
Water and Salt Rinses
This remedy is known to work and even the dentist will suggest it. Salt has been found to contain antibacterial and antiseptic properties that can alleviate inflammation, and stop the growth of bacteria and infections.
- 1 glass of warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
With warm water, pour salt and mix until it is dissolved. Rinse your mouth with the warm water/salt mixture and spit it out. Do this 3-4 times daily to alleviate pain and discomfort, as well as eliminate infection.
Oil pulling is a remedy that was utilized in ancient Ayurvedic methods to treat sore gums or abscessed teeth. This method works to lessen the amount of present bacteria and toxins in the mouth to improve oral health.
- Warm water
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
1. Pour one teaspoon of extra virgin coconut oil in your mouth. Swish the oil inside your mouth for 15 minutes. After, spit it out.
2. Rinse your mouth thoroughly with warm water. Repeat this twice daily especially in the morning on an empty stomach for about a month.
Garlic is filled with anti-inflammatory properties that help to alleviate swelling pain. Garlic also has allicin, an antibiotic that wards off bacterial infections.
- 3-4 garlic cloves
1. Peel and wash the cloves, then crush and squeeze out the juice. Doing this will release the compound allicin. Apply the juice to your abscessed tooth. Repeat this 2 times daily.
2. Eat 2-3 garlic cloves (chew to release the allicin).
Wet Black Tea Bag
Black tea bags are known to contain antioxidants that are powerful against infections, and are effective in absorbing pus and toxins from the dental abscess.
- Black tea bag
- Warm water
Place the black tea bag in warm water for a few minutes to soak. Then, wring it out and apply to the swollen gums while holding or sucking on it. Its suggested you leave it at the site for a few hours or overnight. After, rinse out your mouth with salt and water one time a day for a few weeks.
Hydrogen Peroxide is powerful in fighting off tooth abscesses as it has a potent antimicrobial component. It also contains antibacterial and disinfectant properties that kill off bacteria leading to abscessed teeth, and relieve pain and inflammation.
1. Mix 2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide with 1 tablespoon of warm water. Rinse your mouth thoroughly with the solution and then spit it out.
2. Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with 2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide to make a paste. Apply this paste on the affected areas for a few minutes. After, rinse your mouth with warm water. Repeat this for a couple weeks.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is an old home remedy for abscessed teeth. Having two beneficial acids, acetic acid and malic acid, which are excellent antibacterials, antimicrobials, and antifungals, this solution will prove powerful against abscessed teeth. ACV contains disinfectant and anti-inflammatory properties that relieve inflammation and pain. I recommend you use Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar. You can find it in your local supermarket.
- 1 tablespoon organic apple cider vinegar
1. Pour apple cider vinegar in your mouth and swish it around. Leave it in your mouth for 5 minutes and spit it out.
2. Rinse with warm water. Repeat 2-4 times daily for a month.
Turmeric is proven to lessen inflammation caused by abscessed teeth. It is rich in antiseptic, antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties and also helps promotes oral health.
- Warm water
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1. Mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder with a little water to make a paste, then apply it directly to the affected tooth. Allow it to sit for about 15 minutes, then rinse off.
2 Mix 14 teaspoons of turmeric with 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Apply the paste to the affected area. Leave it on for 15 minutes, then rinse.
Oregano oil contains antibacterial, antioxidant and antimicrobial properties which help clear the infections. When used on an abscessed tooth, it numbs the area. Oregano oil is widely used for abscessed tooth because it helps abscess drainage while killing the bacteria in the pus. It also boost immunity and helps fight tooth infections and speeds up healing process. The best product I have used for this is the NOW Foods Oregano Oil Enteric
1. Pour a few drops of oregano oil directly on the cotton swab. Apply the swab directly on the affected tooth and leave to stay for about 5 minutes.
2. Prepare a mouthwash by mixing 3 to 5 drops of oregano with ¼ cup of warm water.
3. Use the mixture to swish your mouth for about 5 minutes and spit out the mixture. Repeat 3 or 4 times daily.
Peppermint is a potent remedy for an abscessed tooth. Its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties help reduce inflammation and relieve you of the pain associated with an abscessed tooth. My recommendation is the Pure Body Naturals Undiluted Essential Peppermint Oil.
1. Pour peppermint oil on the swab and apply to the affected area. Hold against your tooth for a few minutes before letting go.
2. You can use your finger to gently apply the oil on the affected tooth. Repeat this process 3-4 times a day for at least a month.
Potato has antiseptic properties and is alkaline in nature, but with acidic properties. Its acidic property is said to help shed away dead cells and other toxins.
- Slice of raw potato
1. Take the slice of raw potato and place it against affected areas. Leave it for 30 minutes or overnight. Then remove the potato. You should notice a bit of discoloration over it. This is due to the toxins pulled out of the infected tooth.
1. Drink 3-4 cups of chamomile tea daily
2. To soothe swelling, make chamomile and apply over affected area several times a day
3. Wet the tea bag and hold it against the infected tooth.
Echinacea is a natural antibiotic found to relieve pain and inflammation caused from infections. Echinacea is available in capsules and tinctures.
1. Mix warm water with the herb or teabag. Leave to soak for about 5 minutes, then strain the mixture. Use the mixture to rinse your mouth thoroughly. Repeat this 2-3 times a day.
To help you avoid having an abscessed tooth, here are some tips:
• Replace your toothbrush every 3 to 4 months.
• Quit smoking and the use of tobacco.
• Avoid caffeine when suffering from tooth pain or infection.
• Chewing too much gum should be avoided.
• Avoid junk food and eat healthy alternatives.
• Always brush your teeth twice daily.
• Use an antimicrobial mouthwash to swish your mouth every morning after brushing your teeth.
If you enjoyed this article or learned something new, please don’t forget to share it with others so they have a chance to enjoy this free information. We believe all information should be free and available to everyone. Have a good day and we hope to see you soon!